here is the package which is help to do that.
1. install conky
apt-get install conky-all
2. install conky-manager to make changes from GUI.
- Add the necessary repository with the command sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
- Update apt with the command sudo apt-get update
- Install Conky Manager by issuing the command sudo apt-get install conky-manager
Open terminal and type
4. Select any option which you want to add on desktop
5. To add information like ipaddress and macid
The configuration files are located into .conky folder into the users home directory